I am starting to bring some of the succulents further inside, towards the warmth, as the weather turns colder and wetter. The slugs are beginning to stir again and would like nothing more than to graze on the juicy petals of an echeveria.
It’s always a bit of a juggling act when the plants come inside. Some have more specific light and warmth requirements than others and as I only have limited windows that face west or south, Mr D-F often finds himself waking up to the sight of a large palm or some other frondy-leaved plant waving around in the window by his head… he doesn’t even question it any more!
We have family and friends staying over Christmas and the guest bedroom window has an excellent success rate for keeping succulents happy over winter. I didn’t want our visitors to feel as if they were living in a jungle for the Christmas period, but instead that the plants were an intentional addition to the room’s decor!
After collecting together some white ceramic pots and painting terracotta planters in various shades of Farrow & Ball, I set upon them with a permanent marker pen (I used a sharpie pen with a medium thickness nib). I have seen pots with sweet little expressions on the internet and wanted my plants to have their own personalities as well.
When it came to re-potting the succulents I used an equal mix of cacti soil, perlite and sand. Each pot also had a nice layer of stones placed into the bottom, to aid drainage.
They look like a little succulent family now and will hopefully entertain our friends while they are all roomies over the holidays!
… pine cone place cards … This time of year always seems to be full of great excuses to entertain. Although we don’t have any huge gatherings planned, I wanted to make the most of the informal parties that are … Continue reading →
The clocks turning back at the weekend rather took me by surprise this year. We’ve had such a mild Autumn so far that I haven’t really mentally prepared myself for the onset of long nights, log fires and woolly socks! … Continue reading →
To celebrate the warm springtime weather we’ve been having… I had a go at making some new bee houses.
These little hole-filled boxes provide safe sites for lots of insects, especially solitary bee species, who love to lay their eggs in the pre-drilled tunnels.
Using some spare wood, I drilled holes using a 7mm drill bit to about 6 cm in depth. I fixed a small bracket to the back, so that they could be securely hung outside.
In order that they looked extra smart, I painted the sides and a border in Farrow & Ball’s Pigeon. I took care not to get paint anywhere near the holes, as although this paint is very low in fumes and nasty bits, I didn’t want to take any chances.
As soon as I start to see little leafy/muddy stoppers in the end of the holes, I’ll know that the bees have started laying their eggs.
If you want to know more about these bees and their habits, have a read here…
I posted this DIY way back in 2012, but in the meantime, I made one for last year’s Mother’s Day (to give to my Mum) and it went down a treat.
If you fancy making something unique and creative for your gift… here is the how-to…
Take initial measurements and cut some plywood and beading/edging to the correct size that you would like. I wanted my finished board to end up at about 2 foot by 14 inches.
Paint both sides with 2 coats of a suitable primer/undercoat – I used normal white matt emulsion as it gives a nice even finish. Leave any bits that are to be glued, unpainted.
Once dry, paint the back of the plywood and the edging strips with a suitably stunning colour. I chose Blackened, No.2011 by Farrow and Ball. Paint the face of the blackboard (the other side of the plywood) with blackboard paint. Most places like Homebase and B&Q sell it. Again, I needed 2 coats of both paints.
Once dry, glue it all together and fasten it to the wall, either with a lovely bit of rope (in which case, you may need to drill two holes at the top) or screw it into the wall in the four corners. I chose this way as I didn’t want it to wobble as I wrote.
I have been waiting to write this post, for what seems like ages. A friend of mine had a tired looking Jade plant, which she wanted to find a new home for. I was sure that I could repot it, … Continue reading →